Thursday, May 12, 2005

Malaria - no risk in Nairobi and apparently in the Rift valley!

Hey guys, I've just got back from the nurse and she brought some new information up. Apparently in Nairobi, there isn't much of a risk of malaria and therefore you don't have to take tablets whilst there. This would mainly apply to Nigel and myself, as it would cut down our tablets by 4. I'm not sure if it would affect Dave, Ally and Gerald - depends on how long you spend in Narobi (it might mean perhaps 2 less).

The other interesting fact is that when I told her we were going to be in the Rift valley, she claimed that the high altitude meant we didn't have to take malaria tablets at all. And especially as
Nyahururu is one of Kenya’s highest cities, at 2360 m above sea level. I decided to check up on this on the net and I found the following:

The rough guide said "
Though in Nairobi and the highlands, the malaria risk is low, on the coast, mosquito bites are assured and protection against the disease is absolutely essential"

http://www.travmed.com/maps/country.epl?c=Kenya said

"Malaria
:
Risk is countrywide below 2,500 meters elevation, including urban areas (except Nairobi) and game parks. Transmission is limited in arid areas of the Rift Valley, northern Eastern, North Eastern, and Coast Provinces.

• There is no risk of malaria in Nairobi and in the highland areas above 2,500 meters elevation (the Aberdare Range, Mt. Kenya, Mt. Elgon)."

Catherine said there were not many insects around Nyahururu but there might be if we travel further afield. I would personally say that because we are still under 2,500 metres, it is best to take the tablets anyway. But they could be cut down because we are staying in Nairobi and probably won't be going near any slums where it might be present.

If people want to discuss this further, then please post your comments here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Personally i'll take my tablets, the risk of maleria may be very low in our areas but it can kill. I might air on the side of caution then :)

4:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home